Monday, November 05, 2007

Mantra

What do you say to yourself when the race gets tough?


Ciara:
The faster you finish, the faster you finish.


Barnett:
Come on motherfucker.
That's right bitch.
You not gonna take me.
You not gonna beat me.
I am about to kill you.
Fuck you. Fuck you.
Come on motherfucker.
Lets do this bitch.


Marne:
Around mile 25 last year, when I wanted to stop, some guy who had already finished the race was walking out of the park and saw me struggling. He called out “Stay strong Marne, stay strong”. I spent the last mile repeating that phrase to myself.


Alison:
You can do this. You are a single girl living in New York City.
Compared to that stuff (feel free to drop in whatever latest 'are you
kidding me' story)... THIS STUFF is cake! And then I like to picture
whatever latest loser who doesn't appreciate how fabulous I am on the
sidelines with his jaw dropping and regretful because I look fantastic
(no matter if I am sweaty or whatever) and full of power and
determination. And me blowing by him with a big "see ya I'm on to
better things in my life -- oh by the way I'm in the middle of running XX miles this morning, what did you do today?"
I also like to think... You can do this. "You've done harder things
than this before." I picture my decision to move to New York City and
how amazing and beautiful this city is. I focus on what I'm running
past (the trees, lampposts, whatever) and really SEE IT and it's
beauty. And thinking damn I am one lucky person! Moving here with
only a backpack and a couple of distant contacts and look at how full
and amazing my life has become with friends and experiences. Thinking
how happy I am to be living life to its fullest and that not many
people can really say that. Wow this run is so cool, not everyone
gets to run past this and see this. Then the moment of needing some
help while running is over and I feel really good for the next couple
of miles.
If on a hill -- Just make it to the top and the rest is easy.


Erica:
Damn, this is hard, but I'm not stopping. Not stopping, not stopping, not stopping. Never stop.


I like what I saw on a couple of signs this year: Pain is temporary, Pride is forever.

No comments: