Monday, November 02, 2009

Ooorah!! Coach's Corner


Well, I have officially broken my own marathon record! I ran 3:46:55 at this year's Marine Corps Marathon. Woo-hoo!!!!!!! I have to tell you that this is a big deal for me. My goal is always to finish feeling good, but it is an added bonus that I also set a personal record. I felt great the entire race and kept an eerily consistent pace throughout. I don't know how I did it, but I felt better at mile 20 than I did at mile 8 and Crystal City (miles 23-24) flew by with my main squeeze at my side.

JB jumped in at mile 20 to run the last 6 (and get his workout for the day!) and it made all the difference. Miles 20-23 go over a long stretch of highway and parking lot near the Pentagon. Not exactly picturesque and far from crowd-friendly. It is usually where runners lose steam and motivation and begin to deteriorate physically. Not me! With his encouragement and chattiness, I was able to conquer those last 6 miles and maintain my awesome (for me) pace. It was great.

Team Fisher House is $6,000 away from our $250,000 goal this year. We hope that if anyone forgot to donate, that they will do so before December 1st so we can meet our goal. I was recognized at the team pasta dinner the night before as being the only team member to have repersented Team Fisher House every year since the team's inception four years ago. I am very proud of this and intend to continue my streak next year. I have met the people who have stayed in these houses and I will run until my legs fall off to continue to provide a place for these families. I thank you for your donations and hope that you will continue to support me next year and the year after and the year after that until we no longer need Fisher Houses.

If you or anyone you know is interested in donating to my web page, please feel free to do so:

http://www.active.com/donate/FisherHouse2009MCM/ASweitzer

To any of you who are interested in getting out there and starting a running program, this is the time of year to do it! The weather is extremely mild, there are tons of turkey trots and holiday runs to try and the world is a more runner-friendly place than ever. Get out there and give it a go. If you have any questions, just holler at me--that's what I'm here for!

Run hard, friends! And congratulations to all the 2009 marathoners! We had a great time cheering on our friends and man-candy at the NYC marathon yesterday. What a day it was! Well done, everyone. Keep running :)

Coach Abby

No comments: