Friday, August 25, 2006

READY FOR THE HALF

71 Days to November 5
NIKE Half Marathon
Sunday, August 27
Goal: 2:05

I skipped running class due to rain. The last time I ran in the rain I got sick and I can't afford to get sick right now. Rain during the marathon will be fine. I can get sick after November 5.

It was a smart choice to take yesterday off from running (I did weights in the morning) as I was feeling pretty beat. The four miles this morning were nothing. Wow, if you'd told me two years ago that a 4 mile run would be a cake walk I'd not have believed it. Now, I look forward to the short runs because I know the long run is coming. This weekend is 13.1 miles for the NIKE Half Marathon which I'm totally psyched about. First time ever in NYC. I'm already planning how I'll get to sleep on Saturday night, as I'm anticipating serious anxiety and sleeplessness. So, I've got my Tylenol PM all ready to go and I want to be in bed by 8:00.

Kathleen massaged me Wednesday night. I wish I could afford massages every week. I was so relaxed and slept like a rock. Problem is I am not getting enough sleep. Lately, I hit the bed and I'm out which is really unusual for me as I'm prone to anxiety attacks, but these days I can't keep my eyes open for more than two minutes once I'm in bed. Yeah running!

Carb load, carb load, hydrate, hydrate. That's my mantra this week as I prepare for Sunday. I can't wait. I set a goal of finishing in 2:05, which is about 8 minutes faster than my fastest time. Why do I get nervous when I set a goal? If I don't make it it's okay, nothing bad will happen, the earth will continue to spin, the day will go on. So, why do I hesitate to make the goal, and why do I hesitate to tell anyone about it? I'm strong, I'm prepared, I'm tough. There is no reason why I should be afraid to set pace goals.

No comments: