Monday, July 28, 2008

Training Runs

In an effort to get re-inspired / learn something new about running / get faster I've started running with Nike's 26.2 training group on Saturdays and I'm doing Abby's speed work class on Tuesday mornings.

Nike splits you up by pace and designs different running courses every week, which is great for me because I've been married to the West Side Highway / Hudson River and Central Park 5 and 6 mile loops for the past few years. So, learning new routes will be a nice change. Plus, running with a pacer will let me know if my 3:45:59 goal for this year is completely insane or just slightly crazy.

Abby's speed work class is a killer. It's an hour of all kinds of sprints -- sprint up hill, sprint around Sheep's Meadow, sprint to the tree and back, do some crazy leg exercise then sprint to the volleyball court and back. Holy crap. I did it for the first time last week and was in so much pain for the rest of the week. But, I'm going back tomorrow.

My attitude this season is very different from the last two years. I'm not as excited as I've been in the past; I feel like I'm starting over, which is slightly frustrating. The injury has forced me to take a look at everything I do wrong as a runner. I don't use my whole leg -- I use my thighs, but my calves aren't engaged. (Hopefully, the speed work classes will help solve that problem.) And, I don't push through my whole foot. Usually I either run on my toes or I'm too flat footed. Last week I practiced changing my gait to get my calves working and get my feet to do the right thing. It's hard work, though, leaving my comfort zone. And, it's exhausting.

Something that hasn't changed from the past is that my feet hurt like hell. Alison is going to try a more padded pair of Asics to see if it relieves some of her foot pain. If it works I think I'll do the same. I've got a pair of Mizunos right now that I'm not in love with. Why did I feel the need to change shoes? I've been wearing Asics for three years and they've been fine. The idea of something new is almost always better than the reality. Ain't it the truth.

No comments: