Wednesday, October 22, 2008

11 Days and Counting


This has been a challenging marathon season to say the least. You've heard enough of my moaning and groaning about my disc injury and the unfairness of life as a result. To top it off my obsession with the election has made it all but impossible to embrace the awesomeness that is the New York City Marathon. I've spent the better part of the year absorbing everything MSNBC, The New York Times, Huffington Post, CNN, blogs by political-savvy friends, NPR has to offer. I've lost sleep, my acid reflux is back, and I'm sure I'm developing cancer of the esophagus, which has me worried because no one does a walk to raise money for cancer of the esophagus.

I am happy to report that, while my Election '08 obsession continues, I am finally, FINALLY, getting excited about the marathon. This morning Alison and I did our speed work in Central Park, which included sprints crossing the finish line at Tavern-On-The-Green. It was cold, it was early, so it took me a minute to notice that, hey, the men are out assembling the bleachers! Look! The flags designating the marathon route are waving! It's a beautiful day! My back doesn't hurt! I've had great runs the past few weeks! And I'm going to have a great race!

I am going to have a great race. It's not something I have to force myself to believe; it just is. After all my complaining and all the struggles and all the physical therapy, the voice inside my head that knows everything told me that I am going to enjoy November 2nd and I am going to run strong. I am going to have a great race.

No comments: