Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mix Tape

Some mornings the angel and devil in my head (I'll call them "Good Runner Girl" and "Bad Runner Girl") battle it out for dominance, the argument always over running vs. one more hour of sleep. "Good Runner Girl" always wins when she bribes "Bad Runner Girl" with the promise of music. "Bad Runner Girl" cannot resist, especially when she thinks about the latest mix "Good Runner Girl" made the night before: Viva La Vida (Coldplay), Run (Gnarls Barkley), Shut Up and Drive (Rhianna), Loose Control (Missy Elliot) Sexyback (Justin Timberlake), just to name the first five songs.

Running with music is a little treat I give myself when I'm lacking motivation. And, since most of my runs are with a friend or with my self, having music becomes something to look forward to. Now, just so we're clear, I am not advocating running with your music making device during a race; it's dangerous to you and those around you. But, adding some rhythmic beats to the beat of your shoes hitting the ground during a daily run can be therapeutic, fun, and can also help you move a little faster than you normally would so you burn more calories.

Personally, I'm in dire need of some new music. Nothings worse than putting together a new mix of songs you like, but, ultimately, are terrible on a run. I'll tell you right now The Shins do not making "move your body" music. List some of your favorite running songs in the comments section of this post so I can make a new running mix!

3 comments:

Franke said...

"Pump It Up" Elvis Costello
"Holiday" Green Day
"E-Pro" Beck
"C'Mon C'Mon" ['Rescue Me' theme song] Von Bondies
"Screwdriver" White Stripes

Admittedly, these are my Cool Soundtrack Walking Through the City songs, but they should work for running too.

Anonymous said...

how about "dance" or "just dance" (not sure what it's called) by lady gaga? heard it this morning at the gym and it got me to finish my cardio workout!

Coach Abby said...

I was jammin' to this mix last night on the treadmills during my speed workout:

"All These Things I've Done" by the Killers
"All Nite (Don't Stop)" Janet Jackson
"Angels of the Silences" Counting Crows (Live Across the Wire NYC)
"Crazy in Love" Beyonce w/Jay Z

and some new Rob Thomas/Matchbox 20 son whose name is escaping me right now...I'll think of it. :)