Saturday, May 02, 2009

The Battle of Brooklyn

I figured I'd write my first post here after this week's long run, and here I am, still covered in salt (97% humidity? Is that really necessary?) and proud of myself for another tough trip to Brooklyn. 

My husband Andy and I are training for our fourth Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon, so we've been trying to get in a few trips to Prospect Park, home of my favorite hill, which I'm sure has a real name but which I call the Battle of Brooklyn. It is a CLIMB, and during this particular 9-miler it comes at mile 8. Which is not usually how I roll -- I like the hills low and early, thank you -- but I'm trying to be tougher. 

My brain was making a lot of noise this morning, telling me I was going to get overheated, that the Brooklyn Bridge was too long, the Battle was going to kick my ass, that the 1/2 marathon wasn't worth this, oh and also who the hell do I think I am for signing up for the NYC full marathon again this year? Clearly I needed to walk to the nearest subway station and go home.

It was a good day, though -- one of those days when your brain gets turned back around and you actually do get a little tougher. And it was the silliest thing -- a few minutes into the park, I noticed a guy walking up ahead and realized it was the actor who played Marlo on The Wire. So exciting! Hey, Andy, it's Marlo! He looks just like he did on the show! Should we say something? Nah ...

But after that, I got a little second wind. My brain started thinking about how well I was doing, what a good, steady pace I was keeping. How I needed to be patient -- the Battle was up ahead, but look at all these nice trees and other people in the meantime. And when the Battle came, my breathing got really heavy (97% humidity!!), but my thoughts were good. Keep going. Get angry. Get over. Yeah, it'd be nice to stop, but I'm not going to. I'm not stopping.

I made it over, I got through the last half-mile, I stretched and did my leg lifts (seriously, do not ignore Coach Abby), and we went to brunch at Dizzy's (yay, giant bowl of yogurt, granola, and fruit). So thanks, Marlow, I really did love you on that show! And though I'm not sure I'll ever be that tough, it's a great feeling to make it over another hill.

No comments: