Saturday, May 09, 2009

Compromise

Last night my friend threw herself a grad school graduation party, and while I had every intention of going to see and congratulate her, I fell asleep at 9:30 and missed it. Clearly I needed the sleep -- didn't wake up until after 8:30 this morning -- but it was an annoying reminder that I can't always have everything I want. I want to do speedwork, meet friends for a run (often) or drinks (once or twice a week), cross-train, eat well but have some treats too, and wake up ready for a long run on Saturday mornings. Oh, right, and go to work Monday-Friday. Is that so much to ask?

I guess so. But I'm insanely lucky that I do have most of that, most of the time. For now I'm blessed with (relative) youth and the lack of any real adult responsibilities -- you know, kids -- plus a supportive partner who almost always wants the same things and will wake up on those Saturdays with me. I'm lucky that I can show up for 8 miles of Prospect Park and only really be worried about the crushing humidity and getting up that stupid hill (twice! ha HA!). And now I'm off to another friend's party, this time in the afternoon. I just hope I can stay awake through it ... a nap is sounding awfully good right now ...

No comments: