Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mantras II

Awhile back I did a post asking runner friends to list their "mantra", a few words or a phrase that helped motivate them before, during or after a run. Most of the responses were phrases and, while motivational, were probably not things those runners actually say to themselves in the midst of a long, hard run. At mile 20 my mind can barely string two words together let alone a phrase! In 2007 I had this great mantra ready, and I couldn't wait for the later half of the marathon to use it. Between miles 21 - 26.2 that great mantra turned into one word: "Down". That's all I could say to myself -- "down, down, down, down" -- to keep my feet hitting the ground and therefore, continue forward motion.

Anna's comment on "Pasadena Pain" reminded me of how personal and important mantras are, and how one or a few words can help you get through a tough run, can even change the condition of your body. I've been struggling with lower back pain and, instead of talking about it constantly, I say something similar to Anna and tell myself my body is healthy -- and the pain subsides. Now, please don't take this as permission to ignore pain. (I go to physical therapy for a specific lower back issue.) If you need to go see a doctor, go see a doctor. But, sometimes those little pains we get when we run are because we're running, which doesn't always feel good. And, sometimes, a few positive words can get us through that long 9 miler.

So, maybe we can try this mantra sharing one more time. If you've got a word or words you say to yourself to help you keep moving go ahead and leave them in the "comments" section. Mine lately is "I'm fast and healthy".

2 comments:

Coach Abby said...

I don't really have a mantra, per se, but I definitely day dream about having one of those trucks full of TV cameras following me an Joan Benoit-Samuelson commenting on my form and my pace and my achievements in the background. I dunno...keeps me thinking about those things :)

Maddy said...

I think "float, float, float" over and over or "Up, up, up" going up hill.