Friday, May 29, 2009

The Second Half

So tomorrow is Brooklyn.
My second half marathon.

Yikes! I have been unusually calm about this one.
But nerves have begun to sneak up on me.

I did a 10 mile run, a 9 mile run and a 7 mile run, as well as 5, 4, and 3 mile runs leading up to
tomorrow. I hope I did that right.

Last September I felt a little panicky as I approached the Queens half marathon, and the Queens half turned out to be just as scary as one could imagine. Hot, Humid, Hilly.

I walked at least a mile straight.

I couldn't contemplate why I would ever want to run a full marathon after that.
Somehow that feeling faded.

I wasn't the only one who had a bad run. It was a rough day, and despite our strengths and training we are human and subject to the elements. At least, most of us are.

So here I am on the eve of my second half marathon, optimistic, excited, and remembering that anything can happen, and I can only do my best.

Here's hoping my best is at least 10- 15 minutes better than Queens.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Maddy said...

The Monkey got a PR.