Wednesday, November 08, 2006

26.2 MILES LATER







4:47:20

It's been three (almost four) days since the marathon. I want to write about it, but I've talked about it so much now that I feel drained. Some brief words, then I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I did it. I ran the whole thing, save for a walk through a few water stations. I did exactly what I'd done in rehearsals: run, gel, drink. The first 10-15 miles were exhilarating. The energy from the crowd was so intense I didn't even feel like I was running. It felt like a crazy party in 52 degree weather and the entire city was invited. People shouted my name as I passed, I slapped hands along the way; it was fun! I didn't think about the miles until much later.

We managed to see most of our friends along the way, starting near the end of Brooklyn, where we saw Ron, then in Queens coming off the Pulaski Bridge we immediately saw Karl and Laural who decorated themselves with pictures of me on theor heads which made me laugh so hard. Then, we got near the Queensboro Bridge and the Sunnyside crew was in effect, armed with homemade signs that I loved. It was a great boost right before entering the long, dark, silent bridge. Entering Manhattan the crowd noise came blasting at us before we even saw them. Quickly upon entry we saw Kier, Jess, Scott, and Kirk and that was a huge rush. Paul and Bixby surprised me at mile 18.

I felt hydrated and energized the whole time, but by mile 21 my foot and ankle pain really started to bother me. I never hit a wall, but miles 21 through 26.2 were tough. I got so irritated, like I wanted to jump out of my skin. We saw Anthony around 22, Nicole sometime therafter, Marianna between 23 and 24, along with another appearance by Ninon and Dan. This was all so helpful, but nothing made the last miles easier. The end could not come fast enough. But, Alison and I crossed the finish line strong; we even had a party afterwards.

Everyone at the party asked if I'd do it again. Absolutely. I wanted to finish in 4:30, but the two bathroom breaks messed us up. So, next year I'll try for that or faster.

I think I'll start running again on Saturday. I did go to the gym this morning. I feel great, aside from sore quads. I'm not overly tired, either. I want to go to bed now, so I'm off.

No comments: