Saturday, November 04, 2006

Tomorrow, Tomorrow



Last night I was in bed by 10:20p.m. and up at 5:30a.m. to meet Alison at 6:00 for a two mile run in 38 degrees of cold air along the dark West Side Highway. I think the cyclists are crazier than the runners; even at 6:00a.m. they dominate the rec lanes. Gotta admire them for that.

This weekend feels like Christmas. I left work early on Thursday to meet Jessica and Kiersten at my place. Then, I shuttled them out to Brooklyn where Ciara graciously designed iron-ons for Marne, Alison, and I. As that was happening some sign decorating was going on along with the eating of the pizza. Yesterday morning Kier, Jess, Kirk and I hit the Marathon Expo, which was pretty freakin' cool. I'm still amazed by the number of people who travel from other countries to run this. It's part of what makes it so special. What I'm trying to say is there were a lot of people at the Expo who didn't speak English and I wanted to hug them all. Before anyone accuses me of reverse whatever, I wanted to hug the English speakers, too. I want to hug everyone! I'm having a Roberto Benigni moment, excuse me.

I think Thursday at the Expo must've been insane, because Friday was pretty calm. I walked straight up to the section where my number was and didn't have to wait in line. When I gave the woman my name she passed me my number. Not feeling terribly emotional before this moment I was shocked that as soon as she handed it to me, smiled, and said "Good luck", I got so choked up I had to bite the inside of my lip to keep from crying.

I'm going to cry again when my credit card bill comes in the mail and I see how much $ I spent on Asics stuff! Oh, and I bought some more stuff from Running Divas, whom I'd never heard of until yesterday. I look forward to exploring their website soon and going broke. They have such cute women's wear, nothing you'd actually run in, but sporty clothes you can look cute in and let everyone know you're a running diva. Or a lunatic. I think they're actually the same thing.

Tonight we're dining at Puttanesca with Karl and Laural for some delicious pasta.

I'm not nervous. I feel ready. I feel very peaceful, what I'm guessing could be described as "zen".

No comments: