Friday, July 13, 2007

Erica & The City

Marathon training officially started last week and guess who forgot? I called Alison when I discovered week 18 (or week 1, though I prefer to count down) had come and gone with little more than a blink from me. How different from last year when I did nothing but think about the marathon. Every move I made, all social plans, my entire life last year revolved around my training schedule. Not that I'm behind; we've been training for the NIKE half in August, so I am doing long runs. Alison and I did a 10 mile run last weekend, and tomorrow we're meeting Amanda and Andy for another 8 - 12 mile run in the park. I've run 12 already this week. If I do 12 tomorrow and 5 on Sunday I'll be one mile under where I should be. Not to fret, though; since I've not neglected the weight training I count that toward my marathon time. In my mind I'm right on track. And, hey, my arms are looking good. Wish the belly would shrink.

Wow, I'll be 36 tomorrow. 30-freakin-6. I'm older than I ever thought I'd be. I feel like a 20 year old. And, if I do say so myself, I'm not looking my age. Definitely younger, though the puffy eyes are starting to give me away.

It's July and the streets are hot. My 5 mile run in CP on Wednesday was painful. Ah, the humidity. And the taxis. The exhaust from the cars is horrible.

I do love this city.

No comments: