Monday, July 23, 2007

Pain? What pain?

Well, friends, I am afraid I'm going to have to deal with the fact that my left knee is, dare I say it, hurting. Noooooo!!!! This is a terrible time to have an injury -- not that I am injured, I'm not, I REFUSE to be injured -- but, my health insurance ran out, so even if I was injured, which I am not, I can't go to the doctor. I can go see Gene, the wonderful sports medicine trainer guy that helped me with last year's IT band issue. He's not terribly expensive and after seeing him I was able to run in two weeks. But, this is the beginning of Marathon training, and taking two weeks off would be a problem, I think. Or, maybe it wouldn't. Ciara trained for the Oregon Marathon in 12 weeks. Plus, I am already doing 15 mile runs. Ugh, I really, really, really do not want to deal with this. C'mon! On top of everything else -- I'm referring to my job right now, which, as been all year, is keeping me in financial distress -- I have to maybe, possibly, figure out how to cure my knee. Why were knees made so fragile? Why haven't we evolved by now to have strong-ass, unbreakable knees?

Let's talk about what I did this weekend. Well, the show I've been working on with Uma and Nicole opened on Saturday morning at 11:00a.m. (festival schedule. What can you do?) and was a big success! The show performed to a sold out audience. They laughed at everything. And, despite not having had a complete run of the show with tech, the actors were totally on and the show was tight. We had an opening day brunch, complete with mimosas (I drank 4) and beer donated by Sam Adams. Brunch was lots of fun and most of the audience was able to attend. When I got home I changed and went on a five mile run, mimosas swimming in my brain and belly. I think the adrenaline from the show gave me the energy to run those five miles, and I ran them pretty fast. I'd had little sleep the night before, too, so I certainly wasn't well rested. I do not condone or support running while intoxicated, but I have to say, it was an experience I didn't mind having, just that one time.

On Sunday I ran a much slower 15 miles, the first 10 with Alison. The last five miles were faster as, by that time, I was bored out of my mind and just wanted to be done. Wow, was I bored! Being bored on a run is awful because you can't think about anything other than "Are we there yet?". You just want it to end.

No comments: