Thursday, July 26, 2007

What I Love About Running

I think I mentioned in a recent post that I suddenly have some free time -- taking an unscheduled hiatus from the desk -- which has allowed me to not only contemplate the rest of my life, but also spend more time working out. Today I treated myself to an extra hour of sleep, so I didn't start my 6 mile run until about 8:45. I also treated myself to a little soundtrack from the iPod. Music on a run is like a donut -- I don't have it very often, but when I do it's a delicious treat. (Side bar about music: when I first started running music was an absolute necessity. When I started training for the marathon last year I found, if I was alone with the iPod, that around mile 12, music became very irritating, and by mile 16 unbearable. I now prefer to be on the pavement with my thoughts, unless I'm on a shorter run, then music can be invigorating.)

I decided to do the big loop in CP, running against traffic as to avoid Cat Hill, which I'd already done a few times this week. I knew I'd have to do that crazy hill at the top of the park, but I find it generally easier running west to east instead of the other way. So, off I went, faster than my usual pace. I had to slow down around mile 3 as a result. As I got to that hill in Harlem I noticed that I was alone. It was so quiet, save for Mike Doughty singing in my ear. There were a couple of kids in the pool, but other than that it felt like the park was mine. And, I suddenly realized what a beautiful day it was and how grateful I am to be healthy and how lucky I am because for me running is a joy, not a job. If nothing else, I can put on my Asics and run. I always feel better after a run, I always feel like I've accomplished something that day, so other things I might not finish don't take on more weight.

I got past the hill, turned the corner, and there were the other runners. They don't know it, but I love them all, even the ones who don't know the rules of the road and get in the way. There aren't many of those.

I was back in my apartment by 10:00, at work by 11:30. I like this hiatus thing. I wish I had lots of money so this could be my life all the time.

No comments: