Thursday, August 21, 2008

Things I Did Wrong

In preparation for last week's 16 mile run I:

1. Did not eat the night before.
2. Did not eat enough in the morning.

Stupid.

Coming back from what started as a great run -- down Park Avenue in celebration of the city's Summer Streets, then across the Brooklyn Bridge, back up Park Avenue and finish with two CP 1.7 loops -- I felt my body give up. It literally deflated like a slashed tire. And, it didn't occur to me that I didn't eat enough until my body said "No", quietly, but forcefully.

I did a couple of things right, though. First, I met another runner who was having a hard time and hung with him for awhile. I planned to stop at mile 11 until my new friend Kevin said he was going to run - walk the rest. He was going to run-walk, but he was going to finish.

Second, Kevin and I hooked up with Pauline, a spunky little woman who was running at a reasonable pace and had enough energy to carry Kevin and I, though Kevin did have to walk again. I managed to hang with Pauline, surviving only because she was super chatty and I had a feeling she needed someone to hang with her, too.

So, I had yet another bad long run. But, I did finish. And, I guess that is always something to celebrate. And, side note: I took my first ice bath. In four years of running I've never taken an ice bath. I will not make a habit of it as it was -- excuse me for stating the obvious -- fracking freezing, but I must admit it TOTALLY worked. My muscles recovered in, like, no time. I had no pain the following day.

18 miles tomorrow. Fingers crossed I did something right tonight.

No comments: