Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Good Times & Bad

It's corny to say that running is always there for you, but everyone says it -- because it's true. I'm not always there for running, unfortunately. Lately I've had some tough races, and it's no secret I hate the heat and humidity that comes to NY this time of year. But the shoes, the road, and, if you're as lucky as I've been, the running partners are there.

The Mini 10K last weekend (nothing mini about it!) started strong and ended on my last gasp, and on the way I noticed so many things to be grateful for. The race itself, for one -- in the midst of my current worries about finding a new apartment, which is really just an annoyingly real metaphor for moving on to the next stage of my life, I was lucky to have 6.2 miles to forget and just be (panting) in the moment. My husband had kindly stayed "asleep" that morning so I could sneak out of the house and not talk about how nervous I was. The 5,000 women who'd also shown up on that beautiful Sunday morning reminded me I'm not alone; everyone struggles over hills, literally and figuratively. One of those women gave me a smile and an encouraging word when I faltered in mile 5.  And my friend Erica stuck with me, when I was charging over the Harlem hills and when I hit a wall in the second half. And then another wall ... and in the last mile, not slowing her down further was the only thing that kept me going at all.

I wish I could always be enjoying good times, that I could always show up for my running partners and the road itself the way they always show up for me. I hope I'll have a chance to return all the amazing support I've received. In the meantime, I'm counting my blessings, and heading back to the park as soon as possible.


No comments: