Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The World of PRs or 'I think I did'

So as a beginning runner (can I still call myself that after two years?) I am not concerned with breaking any world records. Occasionally, I find myself breaking my personal records, and I have to say it feels pretty great.

Lately, I've had a string of personal records (PRs) that have excited me in different ways.

I never reported on my Brooklyn Half -Marathon which was definitely a PR as far as half marathons go. I took almost 17 minutes off my time, dropping my pace from an 11:35 to a 10:20.  I consider this an amazing accomplishment since it was both something I set my mind on and a glimmer of hope that I could finish the Marathon in under 5 hours.  Dream big, right?

Not to say Brooklyn was easy, but I think I can still get better. Of course, that's a story for another day.

My other two PRs happened this past month during two New York Road Runner's races. The NYRR Dash 10k and the Gay Pride Run 5M.

For the Dash I ran almost the entire race with my girlfriend.  We typically start out all races together, some we finish together and others I take off on my own later in the race.  For the Dash we stayed together for a lot of it. It was hot and humid and was a bit of a tough race.  Near the end, maybe that dang Cat Hill, my girlfriend started to waver and she sent me on ahead. I stepped on the gas but there really wasn't that much left in the tank. To be honest I usually push it a bit too hard when she sends me on ahead, however I finished the race with a 10:24 pace - 4 seconds slower than my half marathon pace. My girlfriend finished a little behind me and we were both disappointed with our run.  But when we checked our results against our previous 10k races we had each made a PR.  Best 10k! And that's pretty cool when you can make a PR and know that you can do better. Future PRs to look forward to!

Finally, the Gay Pride Run was a chance to really test my mettle. I decide to go for my best pace in a race and try to get a different color bib for my next race.  I ran the first mile with the Girlfriend at about a 10:20 pace then I wished her a good race and started maneuvering through the large crowd. I pushed myself hard and started to get worried, at around mile 4 with Cat Hill coming up, that I might tucker out, have to walk. So I slowed down a little and steeled myself against the impending hill to come.  Well, apparently I spent most of Cat Hill preparing to not give up on it because I suddenly found myself nearing the finish line without ever having run Cat Hill (to my immediate knowledge). Suddenly I was in a down hill push with the crowd cheering and my mind amazed.  How did I get here without running that dreaded hill?  

Sometimes preparing for something is enough to get you through.  When I looked up the time later online I found out I ran the 5 mile race with a 9:08 min/mile.  My fastest race pace over a mile!

I have to tell you it feels great.  When you start running, just happy to get yourself moving, it's these little victories that keep you going. These tiny realizations that your body is responding to the work you are putting into it. Your body telling you, 'you're on the right track!'  This is why you do it. 

For a little running whip cream, Saturday was supposed to be a long run, so we ran another 2 miles after we finished the race. We took a long break, but it was the first time we ran after a race. You know those crazy people who wear numbered bibs in colors you can only dream about, who cheer you on while running the opposite direction, as you struggle to finish the race they finished 10 minutes ago? It was the first time I got a glimpse into their world.

Hmm. Someday

No comments: