Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"I'm A Fan" by Coach Abby

I gotta tell you, friends, I am a fan of running. I think maybe I missed my calling as a professional cheerleader, but I definitely work through that by cheering wildly on the sidelines of any friends' sporting event. Yankees games, football games, marathons, Little League, you name it and I'm there. Not shouting at the umpire, mind you (unless it's a catastrophically bad call), but cheering for anyone and everyone!

I really get so much joy out of watching other people compete and complete goals. It is one of my all-time favorite hobbies to go out and cheer for random strangers in a Central Park race or at a charity run. Some people ask me why I'm not running New York this year with my honey (who is running his first in our fair city!). Truth be told, I'd rather be his #1 Cheerleader and #1 Fan out there on the course. I know what it feels like to look forward to seeing friends and family after miles and miles of what seems to be an endless course and all you want to do is sit down and eat a cupcake. I love being that jolt of adrenaline for people.

So, if you happen to be competing sometime in the future, holler! I will be your fan (and annoyingly cheerful coach, as Kirk and Alison found out this weekend). I may just jump in for a few miles myself.

And if you've lost a little bit of the love to run or compete, try being a fan sometime. It can rejuvenate your spirit and give you the boost you need while giving others the energy to finish. Bonus? You don't have to get up as early as the athletes!

Keep running hard, friends. Go get 'em!

Coach Abby

No comments: