Friday, August 14, 2009

Seems like they only get longer.

And I am not just talking about the lengths of time between my post. I am talking about Long runs. Tomorrow I will run (I hope) 16 miles. I am on week nine of my training, doing a Cool Running Beginner Marathon program.
And they say if you are running for speed or time on your first marathon then I should be running 18 miles and if I just want to finish I should run 14. So, I feel like I am somewhere in between on this. So, I am going to run 16. Two weeks ago Me and Zen (my girlfriend) ran 14 miles in the NYRR Training run. This was a great way to remind myself that running can cause pain.

Somehow, getting up five days a week, and running varied distances and stretching a lot after (You know what, I don't think I'll ever stretch before) you seem to get used to it, and your body doesn't go into shock every time you set out on an hour or more run. But then you run that first run over the half-marathon mark, and your body says, "hey, I thought we were cool. You don't bother me, I don't bother you. What happened?" And you tell your body, hey I was just pushing it okay, I'll try not to let it happen again. But then you realize you just lied to your body...dang. OK. Listen up body, this is the goal... "What?!!" yea, I know, but we can do it, stay with me okay. I am pretty sure it will feel amazing after. And if it doesn't, I'll give you two weeks off, at least! Well, alright, you can't give the body all the details right off the bat. The bat? hmmm.

Anyway, I've been feeling pretty good, overall. Trying to eat right and stay on track. Been a little more difficult to maintain a regular running schedule since I left Zen in NY and headed out to Minneapolis. I have been doing my runs but the timing has been a little bit off. So tomorrow I strike out on a 16 mile journey, presumably on my own, lest someone show up out of the blue.
Luckily I get to run around three lakes. Check it out.

Oh Technology. Well, wish me luck. Still to be discovered: Where do I hold my gels? Water? How do I get around Lake of the Isles?

No comments: