Monday, October 30, 2006

THE COUNTDOWN: 6 DAYS TO GO

We ran the Poland Springs Marathon Kickoff 5 mile yesterday morning. I wore my brand new running pants that I got, along with some other winter gear, from NIKETOWN on Sunday, thanks to Ciara who, very awesomely and patiently, accompanied Alison and I to the store and gave us her 40% off discount! If that's not cause for a "Woo-Hoo" I don't know what is. So, my winter running wardrobe is looking good; I have no excuse for not running outside December - March.

It's very important to do a long run in your Marathon clothes before the Marathon so you know they're comfortable, if they cause chaffing, and how well they breathe. With that in mind, I bought new clothes that I've run in maybe once for, like, a four miler. Okay, my shorts have been through two 20 mile runs. They're great--just a little chaffing around the waist band, but nothing a little Body Glide can't handle. I bought a red shirt that maches my shorts and a long sleeved shirt to wear for the start. And I got a new hat. Everything matches. So, if my clothes start bothering me, well, at least I'll look cute, dammit.

We're going to Ciara's place on Thursday night to put our names on our shirts. Last night at Uma's Bill asked if I was going to put "Chief" on my shirt. I think I'll put "Go Erica!" on the front and "Chief" on the back.

Am I competitive? Alison says I am. Maybe, but I don't think I am competitive with other people; I compete with myself. At races I'm not concerned with Alison's time, or Ciara's time, or anyone's time. I think about my time, about what I can do, and what I want to do to feel like I had a good race. If I'm feeling strong and think I can run a little faster, then that's what I want to do. When I have an injury, like the IT band pain I dealt with earlier in the year, I "take it easy" as they say. I'm not one to put myself in jeopardy, but I hate taking it easy. I do. And, I'm not going to take it easy if I don't feel like it. So there! Seriously, though, it's not in my nature to back off. I'm always pushing, even just a little bit, to see what will happen. If I run a little faster, what will happen? If I take a left instead of a right, where will that lead me? I don't like playing it safe. And, if that means I'm competitive then so be it.

My Mom is like that. She quietly and confidently goes after what she wants. And, she's humble about her accomplishments, but she doesn't shy away from praise. I know she's amazing, and so does everyone around her. I think when someone is confident, but somewhat reserved about what they've achieved it can be sort of threatening or intimidating. Why is that?

It's going to be cold: 52 degrees for the high with 10% chance of showers. Sunny, but cold.

No comments: