Thursday, October 26, 2006

LET ME SLEEP

9 DAYS TO GO

Oh my GOD I'm tired! Please, someone just give me a cot and a blanket so I can crawl under my desk at work and take a very long nap! Coffee doesn't help. Nothing helps. Getting to sleep at a decent hour might help, but that never seems to happen. I was smart, though; I planned nothing for next week, so, except for work, I'll be able to get home by 6:00, eat by 7:00, and crash in front of the t.v. I'm going to bed by 9:00p.m. every night next week so I can practice getting up at 4:00 or 5:00a.m.

How is it that people don't know the distance of a marathon? Isn't it taught in school during the Greek Mythology unit? I feel like it's pretty basic knowledge. I knew and have known that a marathon is 26.2 miles since I was a kid. The fact that so many people have asked me "how long is a marathon?"--should I find that troubling and a reflection of the poor quality of our educational system in this country? Or, am I being a snob? Once, an actress who shall remain nameless, asked me how long a marathon was and I told her; then she asked what my longest run was, and at the time it was a 1/2 marathon, which I told her; she then asked how long a 1/2 marathon was. Okay, I sympathize on one level because I, too, and bad at math. But, come on, it's basic math!

I'm grumpy today.

I don't know how to contain my excitement / anxiety. All I want to do is talk about the marathon, which is driving my co-workers crazy. I'm trying to think about other things, like writing projects, politics, and shopping, but I can only sustain those thoughts for brief moments before I find a way to relate them to running: "I hope Barack Obama runs for president. I wonder if he attended the Chicago Marathon?"

Since we're on the subject of politics, I think I'd quit my job and work for Obama's campaign if he decided to run. The thought of him as Prersident of the United States gets my heart racing as much as thinking about the marathon. (Damn, I did it again!) I like Hillary. I LOVE Barack. I worry that someone is going to try to assasinate him. I had that fear after his DNC 2004 speech, the one that had me and all my friends crying like babies. If I worked for him I could be responsible for keeping the staff in shape. Campaign staffs always get fat and eat lots of crap and drink tons of coffee. I could make everyone get up and run 3 miles before stuffing their faces with egg mcmuffins.

No comments: