Monday, October 23, 2006

THE FINISH LINE AWAITS

THE LAST TEN MILES

I'd like to take a moment to pay some serious love and respect to New York City. Training here has been such an amazing experience. Sometimes when I'm running along the Hudson I have to slow down and take it in: wow, I live here! I run here! We all complain about New York--it's too expensive, it's crowded, it's cold. But, everyone wants to live here. I don't know where else I'd go and be as excited, happy, frustrated, anxious, content, peaceful as I am here.

This is a beautiful city. It's also an ugly city, especially in the Bronx. Okay, let's not lie, the Bronx ain't pretty. At least, the one mile we have to run in the Bronx is very unattractive. On Sunday we did the last 10 miles, starting at 59th and 1st. It was a great run with a big turn out from my running groups TRIPLE TOWN THREAT (Ciara, Marianna, Marne, Jeremy, Erin, I'm sure I'm forgetting someone) and TEAM GORGEOUS (Amanda, Sasha, Andy, Nancy). Crossing the bridge into the Bronx was very cool. My runs, as I said, mostly take place in two areas, so not only was the course different, I also got to leave Manhattan, which, mentally, was a nice change. However, someone needs to put some garbage cans on the street corners in the Bronx. So much litter! I'm sure they'll clean it up for the race, but the fact that people live up there with garbage all around them is pretty depressing. What a difference a few garbage cans would make.

Once we got back into Manhattan it was only 6.2 miles to the finish. And, when I saw the finish line, man, I got so choked up. Even writing this now gives me heart palpatations. I cannot believe I'm running the marathon. There have been moments during my training where it's hit me like a lead weight that this is real, I'm making this happen. And, seeing the finish line on Sunday (the bleachers are already up) was a huge rush.

The last 10 was great. I felt strong. And, this was one of the only runs I've done where there weren't water stops, so we ran the whole thing. It's good to know I can do that. I carried a Gatorade with me, and sucked down one GU which was enough.
Psychologically, this was a great run. I know what to expect for the last hour and a half, which is a good feeling.

I bought my marathon shirt yesterday. I guess I have to run the race now.
Shop at Jack Rabbit Sports. They give NYRR members a discount on clothes and shoes. Very cool.

No comments: